Welcome to a sustainable logs only zone.
Our sustainable logs have been sourced from British woodland.
We take pride in only selling sustainable logs that are sourced from responsibly thinned woodland, so more light and space is created for surrounding trees to grow and thrive.
All tree surgeons who source our logs are licensed by the Forestry Commission.
Unlike many online retailers, our sustainable logs are all quality assured under the HETAS quality assurance scheme, this ensures:
- The source of the logs is stated on the product (British origin).
- Moisture content is below 25%.
- The log length is stated and controlled (standard length is 25cm, but others can be declared).
- Load volume is illustrated. E.g. declared in metre cubed, either as a ‘stacked’ volume or ‘loose fill’.
This website was created as a result of discovering that a majority of online firewood retailers sell imported logs or are not transparent about their logs for sale.
Whilst buying imported wood may be value for money, it comes with negatives.
- Creates huge carbon footprint – crates of logs are unnecessarily transported across thousands of miles across Europe by trucks fuelled by diesel. Many logs come from Latvia which is 1,500 Miles from London, England. It takes at least 24 hours to cover that distance in a vehicle.
- It’s harder to trace the origins. Firewood is more likely to come from mass culled woodland destroying the natural habitat for wildlife. Unfortunately many retailers do not pay enough attention to the origin of the wood, meaning some retailers are actually encouraging forests being unnecessarily destroyed.
- Increases risk of new diseases being introduced to British woodland. With the United Kingdom being an island nation, our forestry is fairly isolated and vulnerable to foreign disease. Our Ash Trees are under threat from pests and disease. We must all do our bit to protect British Woodland.
How can you tell if logs on sale are imported?
1. Before making a purchase look to see if the wood origin is stated. If not, ask where the firewood on sale comes from.
2. Imported bulk firewood is often supplied in wooden pallet crates with the logs neatly stacked. Pallet crates are often sold in 1m3 or 2m3 volumes.
3. Packaging is unbranded making it harder to trace the origins of the wood, perhaps done deliberately?
4. If the species is 100% Silver Birch or Alder, it’s likely to be from Europe – as these are common species exported to Britain.
Why are logs from FirewoodFund categorised sustainable fuel?
After the woodland is thinned, it is always left in a condition so that trees can flourish and one day produce more logs.
Burning logs is much better than fossil fuels because trees can be replanted. Fossil fuels like gas and coal however take million of years to form.
Why do we still use non sustainable fuels?
The world of convenience is the driver behind this…
In recent years, we’ve been living in a world of convenience. Travel is faster and homes have evolved to make life as easy as possible for us all. It’s all to easy to take these conveniences for granted because many of us haven’t known life without lighting and heat at the touch of a button.
In the not so distant past, our ancestors homes were predominantly heated by open fires, had toilets outside and light was by flame. Life was far from easy back then!
After World War 1 it became mandatory in London for property to have toilets built inside and the trend for home conveniences was born. Overtime housing across the UK was built with convenience in mind for all classes. Homes now had internal baths, showers and toilets. In home lighting and visual entertainment also become the norm, with many homes owning the TV’s from the 1960’s.
Whilst home conveniences we all benefit from are great, they are have major environmental implications. E.g. Electrical appliances we buy, are made from large quantities of plastic, which takes over 1000 years to breakdown/decompose. One of our main emergency sources electricity is still generated by coal, a fossil fuel.
A single lump of coal actually takes millions of years to form from ancient organisms. It is categorised as a non renewable energy source – yet we burn it in an instant for electricity generation and household heating. Remember; once it’s gone it’s gone.
At FirewoodFund we believe that homeowners should be doing what they can to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and heating their homes using sustainable fuels such as logs.
The great thing about logs is they can be sourced from branches of trees when they get too overgrown and require felling. This means once a tree has been trimmed back it can continue to thrive and potentially produce more logs in the future. Another major benefit is more trees can be easily planted, providing us with more logs within decades. E.g. in the right conditions an ash tree can grow and reach full size within 16 years. On average an ash tree can then last for 120 years before it dies. Fossils fuels including Oil, Gas and Coal hand have taken millions of years to form.
Beyond logs being a renewable energy source, using a wood burning stove has other benefits…
Generally a modern family spends most its time in the living room, yet most families heat every single room, even those rooms not in use! When you think about it, it’s crazy how much energy we waste.
The great thing about a wood burning stoves are they usually located in the living or dining rooms, meaning you can focus on heating the room that needs to be heated saving energy. Stoves are also incredibly efficient compared to an open fire. An open fire is only 15% fuel efficient. A stove however is an impressive 80% fuel efficient – maximising heat output and reducing the rate fuel is burned.
Please take a look at our sustainable logs for sale:
0.8m3 Bulk Bag Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£143.00 Add to cart
1.2m3 Bulk Bag Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£189.00 Add to cart
1.6m3 Bulk Bag Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£235.00 Add to cart
30 Bag Pallet Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£170.00 Add to cart
50 Bag Pallet Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£282.00 Add to cart
70 Bag Pallet Of Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£390.00 Add to cart
Bulk Kiln Dried Hardwood Logs – Free Delivery£143.00 – £235.00 Select options
Premium Wooden Log Store – Free Delivery£249.00 Add to cart
Shop with confidence. This website is encrypted to keep your information safe & secure.